Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

9. Re: I Hate Mountains for L4D Jun 7, 2010, 17:36 DG

I installed KF and was reminded of the bad bits from 1990's PC games right away. It looked terrible - not just not fancy graphics or whatever, but just... bad. Then it kept screwing up on loading or the menus, then it worked but each time I joined a game it fell over...

I really liked L4D but they did not execute the lobby system well (and I definitely think it was the right way forward for the game, if only they'd done it right). This was compounded by the lack of incentive for people to buy servers, which meant relatively few freebies were thrown up as advertising, which was further compounded by all Valve's EU servers being in Germany. So you mess around for ages getting the map you want (and, cross fingers, a decent team) and then mess around some more to get a decent server, and each time you get a bad one most people quit without thinking of just voting back to lobby.

In the beginning for L4D1, when it was really really busy, the flaws weren't so much of an issue 'cuz there were so many good options it couldn't really miss a decent enough game. Soon as games got a little hard to find, the problems become an issue far more often than not.

Oh and then there's what happens when it updates. In TF2, the only problem I've had is servers shutting down mid-game to install a patch, at which point my Steam starts updating and 5mins later I'm back in. In L4D, Steam updates itself then tomorrow I can join a server.

(This is from my UK perspective, YMMV)

This comment was edited on Jun 7, 2010, 17:44.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo