Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

147. Re: Epic on Piracy and PCs May 18, 2010, 23:20 Jerykk

"MORAL" IS PAYING THE AMOUNT THE OWNER OF THE MERCHANDISE IS ASKING BEFORE USING THE MERCHANDISE.

You do realize that morality is purely subjective, right? If you look it up in the dictionary, I'm pretty sure you won't find your definition. To claim that your own sense of morality is somehow absolute and universal seems a bit pretentious. Don't worry, I understand your argument. I just don't agree with it, for the reasons I've mentioned.

That said, it's rather humorous that you can't actually refute any of my specific points and instead insist on repeating the same shallow proclamation over and over (in all caps, no less). I'm sorry but those big letters won't close the numerous holes in your logic.

Here's a question that you will hopefully answer instead of regurgitating the same statement over and over. Why do you consider what you do to be moral? A moral act is typically viewed as an act of altruism, is it not? One in which you consider the repercussions of your own actions upon other parties. Most people would consider it immoral to steal candy from a baby. Why? Because it will make the baby cry and crying babies are sad babies. Making people sad for your own benefit is considered immoral.

So who are the parties involved in this particular moral dilemma? Publishers, developers and consumers. Publishers and developers want you to pre-order games at full price (collector's editions if possible). They determine their development and marketing budgets based on expected sales at these prices. If a game sells well at full price within a month, publishers and developers are happy. Publishers are more likely to sign more projects with developers and developers are more likely to see actual profit from the game they made. A moral consumer would always want the developers to benefit from their purchase. However, for this to happen, the purchase needs to be made at the original asking price. If the consumer waits five months and buys the game for $20, the developer will not benefit. Only the consumer will benefit because he saved $30. Therefore, a moral consumer would always buy games at full price and pre-order whenever possible.

You are not a moral consumer. I am not a moral consumer. We are intelligent consumers. Our motives are not completely altruistic but they aren't completely selfish either. We are both willing to pay what we believe a game is worth. The difference is that I form my belief based on the experience of playing the game, whereas you form your belief based on reviews, word of mouth, trailers, etc. In the end, none of that matters to publishers or developers. The only things that matter to them are: 1) If you buy the game. 2) When you buy the game. 3) How much you pay for the game.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo