Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

86. Re: Epic on Piracy and PCs May 17, 2010, 18:08 MattyC

Creston wrote on May 17, 2010, 17:34:
Your numbers are fine (I assume), but the conclusion you draw is wrong, I think. It's not so much that devs/publishers flock to the consoles because a good game doesn't sell enough on the PC. Of course it does. Great PC games sell millions of copies too.

It's that they know that, on consoles, they can release something half-assed, put a few nice screenshots on the box, and still sell hundreds of thousands of copies. Most of the gaming industry has gotten lazy. They'd rather put a turd in a box and try to make a few million bucks off it than produce an absolute gem of a game. Thank God for Rockstar.

It just collates with the fact that a good game doesn't necessarily sell well. (or at least, well enough to justify the expense.)

Far easier to just make something slapdash, and make money that way.

Creston

Ideas like this are just silly. Games on the PC are not, nor have they ever been, inherently more polished. If anything it has been consoles have become more advanced and PC like, not piracy, and not quality of PC games. Ever since consoles have started pushing into 3d territory, online play, DLC... they have gotten more and more of a leap over what "Joe Consumer's Dell" can do. This is just a fact. Sure he could push more with a gaming PC, but he doesn't have one of those. He does have a 360 or a PS3... and it is close enough. This isn't the days of split screen being console multiplayer. And they couldn't ever have patches or added content. People just need to accept that.

It also doesn't help that mods seem to be dying down. Valve (yes I love them, this is hardly an I HATE VAVLE rant) and the like buying up mods and reselling them as 'games' really has done away with a lot of the bonus points PC games used to have there.

Either way, if you want to pretend you are some small minority of super gamers with far more refined taste, then you shouldn't be surprised if your developer pool shrinks accordingly.

With that said, I do miss the diversity we used to have on the PC. What happened to serious flight sims, more serious SimCity, Detroit, games like that? And don't say it was consoles that did them in, they have been dying for a while.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo