Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

25. Re: Games Workshop Sues Warhammer Fan Site May 8, 2010, 20:41 DG

Overon wrote on May 8, 2010, 19:54:
I have read this thread and no one has managed to convince me through reason and evidence that they are right.

Try harder. I respond well to evidence and reason. Please avoid making logical fallacies.

Thank you.
It's IP law. You want evidence, reason and logic? It's about imaginary things, GL with that.

Having read TFA and the action, you can basically take your pick from:

- Evil Games Workshop! They want lawyer money, a valuable domain for free and to maximise the control it has over community discussions. This website is fair use, does not pretend to represent Games Workshop and builds up a community and hence is a good thing for the company. Or;

- Evil warhammeralliance.com! These guys are making money through advertising yet people only go there because it's about Games Worshop, therefore it is illegitimately profiting from another company's branding.

Personally I do not see how GW is losing anything from this "fan site", it's not like it's selling competing products, and I can't imagine anyone assuming it to be an official site. GW are widely known to be a litigious bunch of control freaks - am IRL friend of mine is well into it but he really dislikes the company. Apparently most fan sites had to come up with some agreement with GW to be allowed to operate (WTF?). On the other hand, given it's corporate ownership I'm not sure it's quite the "fan site" and yeah OK apparently they are making money.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo