Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

29. Re: Books and.. wth? Oct 24, 2002, 18:59 snide

I can't stand Steinbeck, although I dig the way he writes I hate his themes. I also can't stand Hemingway. The only American "classic" authors I can handle are salinger, heller, and all the beatnick guys. Oh and Rand, whose writing is more American then any "native" American I can think of. Does Hunter S. Thompson count as well? hehe. Classic Lit I mostly dig the Russians (Tolstoy, Checkov and Dostoyevsky) and the Frogmen (Hugo and Dumas). Most Victorian era shit I can't stand aside from Henry James, who despite writing in the style is obviously not a Victorian writer, lol. The only contemporary authors I regularly read are Colleen McCullough (thorn birds) and Ken Follet, who should quit trying to make money and be clancy all the time and get back to his pillars of the earth (awesome awesome book) writing. Oh and nick hornby for light reading, just because High Fidelity is basically like reading my autobiography except for its character being in his 30s. From what I hear I'd really like Stephen King's stuff but I'm a bit of a completest when it comes to books so it'd be quite a committment to jump into.

As for the homogenious comment, I've thought the same thing but find it even funnier that I have zero friends with similar interests in real life. I wish I had more nerd friends like myself, I never got the oppurtunity as a kid to roll a 12 sided die! Damn football, rock music and girls, they ruined my ability to be a true nerd. Is there a nerd city we could all move to? I bet the economy would rock there and the sims wouldn't be the best selling game. The TV would have well financed sci-fi shows followed by Monte Python comedy. Too bad the male to female ratio in such a city would be worse than a military school. Blue, go found this mecca, you already have a blue tower, you could be the king. All hail Blue and his praise be his name. According to the media, we are all trained killers and could make quite an army.

dave snider
comicvine.com

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo