Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

117. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Apr 19, 2010, 23:34 Jerykk

This DRM is created to stop people from downloading and playing these games without paying for them at the time. Which is exactly what you do.

So is the irony that the DRM doesn't actually stop me from downloading and playing their games for free? Or is the irony that this DRM is supposed to increase sales but actually does the exact opposite?

You may want to look up "irony" in the dictionary, as I don't think it means what you think it means. If you think that a pirate giving business advice (or in this case, common sense advice) is ironic, it's not. Ubisoft wants more sales. That's the reason DRM exists. DRM is supposed to stop piracy and turn pirates into customers. However, that doesn't actually happen. If Ubisoft wants to turn me into a customer, they need to make good games and stop using this DRM. No irony there, just basic logic.

You find reviews that you believe you can trust (and read them rather than just rely on final scores), do some research and then determine whether or not you want to buy the game.

Yes, I could do that. Or I could just play the game and then A) Buy it if I enjoy it or B) Stop playing it if I don't enjoy it. Seems a lot more logical to trust my opinion over anyone else when it comes to entertainment.

While I won't don't have the time to write a personal review for you, I can tell you that after logging more than 80 hours I am thoroughly enjoying it and have yet to encounter a single problem with the DRM. There you go. You can go out and buy it now without pirating it ...

Unfortunately, you are in the minority here. The vast majority of people who have played the game say it sucks. It has an average Metacritic score of 63. I'm also not very interested in sub sims. However, for all I know, you could be right. The game be awesome and hook me on the genre. Unfortunately, there's no demo. So without the ability to make my own judgment, who should I trust? The majority of people who say the game sucks or you? If I don't pirate the game, I'll have to rely on the opinions of the majority and as such, there's no chance that I will ever buy this game. Conversely, if I pirate the game and end up enjoying it, I will buy it... once Ubisoft removes the DRM.

That said, I have zero interest in sub sims so I won't even bother pirating it. Still, food for thought.

This comment was edited on Apr 19, 2010, 23:47.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo