Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

100. Re: GameStop Used Game Lawsuit Mar 27, 2010, 22:03 shponglefan

Jerykk wrote on Mar 27, 2010, 21:43:
If someone is so cheap that they sell everything they buy, isn't it more reasonable to assume that they are more likely to buy used games whenever possible?

No. Anecdotally speaking, I buy used and new games. It depends on the game, price and perceived value. I know some people who also only buy new games.

In any case, developers don't see any money from that used sale. If you sell a copy of Psychonauts to buy a new copy of Madden, Double-Fine doesn't see a penny. You can claim that you're helping the industry but that's a pretty lame excuse. If you enjoy a game, you should reward the developer who made it.

And if someone sells a copy of Madden to buy Psychonauts then EA doens't see a penny. This case-by-case stuff is besides the point; I'm talking about in aggregate here. (Some) used game sales help finance new sales. This is not up for debate.

Now (some) used game sales also cannibalize new sales. The question is how much and does one outweigh the other. So far there is no data available (that I've seen anyway) to determine this. That is what the debate should be about, not these attemps to eqivocate over piracy.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo