Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

17. Re: Frans Mar 22, 2010, 19:02  Xymph 

Ray Marden wrote on Mar 22, 2010, 18:39:
Well, is there any hope/chance/wish/intent/plan to upate the forums?
Not really, plenty of work has been done to them already, and I already explained a complete replacement by another system is out of the question.

Maybe I'm just too much of a dinosaur for my own good, but I find the inability to quickly view threaded discussions, at least without loading the entire page over and over and over , extremely tiresome.

Then again, if "flat" posting is that popular or this is just a site to shout out some random message, let me know.
Common forum systems like phpBB and vBulletin offer only flat views, the default (ascending timestamps) equating Flat (Oldest First) here. Threads view is a bonus here, but not a very practical one indeed, so yeah, maybe you are a dinosaur for using it. And Threads view with full posts is not practical either.

Something like Shacknews or Slashdot threading is way beyond my available time, and perhaps my capabilities too. ISTR Shack's comments were rewritten from scratch several times in the past decade...

P.S. Invalid avatar type: not an actual PJPG image.
You tried just before I made another necessary tweak. Please try again, and sorry about the hassle, I obviously hadn't done my MIME homework.

-- Frans

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo