Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

33. Re: OnLive Launches in June: Monthly Fee Doesn't Include Games Mar 10, 2010, 17:44 Flatline

winnetou wrote on Mar 10, 2010, 17:37:
Good question and I don't know enough about US ISP options to answer that. I'd like to make the numbers based on their FAQ though: "OnLive works over nearly any wired broadband connection (...) with 5Mbps or greater for HD-resolution games. OnLive requires 1.5Mbps for SD-resolution, but initially at launch, OnLive will only offer HD-resolution."

Well as of about a year ago there's 9 million people on "broadband", which is defined as being 512k download and something silly like 128 up. Which isn't nearly enough to play OnLive. I can see someone buying the set-top box thinking "I have broadband" but only having the base DSL (parents purchasing for a child's birthday for instance). I doubt OnLive is going to be forward with their bandwidth requirements.

The 8mbps I got was from their "optimum conditions" demonstration from a year ago. There was still graphical artifacts, noticeable input lag, and compression issues even then. I imagine at 5mbps, it's going to be painful.

I also imagine that a queue system will be in place, as I don't even want to imagine how much money it'd cost to have 10,000 concurrent 5mbps streams out to the internet maintained, all with VOIP-level quality of service. Certainly more than 15 dollars per person per month. It's why I suspect that they'll be trying to make a profit off of game sales as well as the subscription.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo