Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

27. Re: Op Ed Feb 28, 2010, 10:31 shponglefan

Jerykk wrote on Feb 28, 2010, 03:44:
As such, I think it's reasonable to use those traits to define the genre.

Except there are always outliers. Painting yourself into a corner with an extremely rigid defnition is silly.

I thought of another: Zork. It's one of the granddaddies of them all and yet I'd think you'd be hard pressed to find any adventure gamers that don't consider it an adventure game. Per your definition, it wouldn't qualify.

If a game doesn't give you any meaningful choices, it can't be a role-playing game.

Why not? Other than your own say-so, you haven't given any reasons for this.

It seems you've defined RPG based on solely on earlier Western CRPGs, which grew out of PnP RPGs. These are a mere subset of the broader RPG genre, which includes action RPGs (like Diablo et al.), strategy RPGs, JRPGs, FPS hybrids (Deus Ex, System Shock 2), etc. All you've done is defined a subset, not the whole genre.

Likewise, you've defined adventure games based on the 80's/90's era graphic adventures, but not the broader set.

The whole point of genres is to make it easier to classify games. If you use such broad definitions, there's no point in having genres at all. If an RPG is defined as any game that has leveling, that means CoD, BF, God of War and a host of other games are RPGs.

Like i said three times now, it's not strictly leveling. It's a combination of character-leveling mechanics (usually revolving around combat) and adventure-style story/quest driven gameplay. Note that the latter usually includes somewhat freeform game worlds (i.e. non-linear movement), ability to interact with other characters, ability to obtain/use items, etc. These are typically characteristic in RPGs as well.

GoW arguably could come close to an action-RPG, although it lacks character-driven leveling mechanics (since all you do is boost your weapons). This is also why Zelda is usually not considered an RPG, although it too skirts the border.

BF and CoD don't qualify, because the leveling in those games is strictly tied to multiplayer which is purely action. Games like System Shock and Deus Ex are better examples of hybrid FPS/RPG style games.

This comment was edited on Feb 28, 2010, 12:54.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo