Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

42. Re: On Ubisoft's Online DRM Feb 18, 2010, 01:55 Endo

BurntSoul wrote on Feb 17, 2010, 22:19:
The reason refunds aren't offered on PC games is simply greed not a technical limitation of DRM.

It has to be something specific along with greed - otherwise we'd also see the same for consoles.

Not allowing for a refund (please, just give me a day to see if I like it) and opening a crappy game just trains the consumer to wait until the price goes down.
They HAVE tried to force the same with consoles. Here's just one link I came across in a quick google search that demonstrates how developers feel about the secondary market, which is also generally applicable to how they feel about refunds: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171217

It's just a lot harder to force the issue with consoles, because those games have always been available only on a disk or cartridge that can be bought, traded, sold, rented, etc., while PC games have their roots in simple games that you actually coded yourself. And after that, they came on floppies which were basically the easiest thing to copy, ever. So on the one hand, you have something that seems more like actual physical property, while on the other you have what amounts to little more than data that can be easily copied.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo