Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

36. Re: Cryptic Working on Star Trek Online Capacity Feb 4, 2010, 10:32 JoeNapalm

Actually, this has been the smoothest launch of an MMO that I've ever seen. The servers dropped a couple of times during the head-start period ("It's like an out of town premiere"), they addressed it, and (other than scheduled maintenance) I haven't seen any downtime since the game went officially live.

I'm pretty burned out on MMOs, but having fun with this on (no one is more surprised than me). It doesn't fit the WoW-clone formula. It's a lot closer to playing Starfleet Command in a persistent setting than playing WorldEverLordoftheDungeonQuestCraft or whatever the latest clone is.

Does it have the pure and unequaled polish and detail that WoW does? The epic complexity of EVE? No...but they obviously learned a thing or two about launch day. From my perspective, it was seamless.

Certainly not everyone's cup o' tea (and yeah, Cryptic/Atari are greedy bastards) but a lot of the venom in here is a bit unfounded. If you hate it, cool - I think L4D2 and Modern Warfare 2 are bad games, and I never tried them...people enjoy different things.

This is more of a hop in and blast a few Orion pirates and Birds of Prey (yes, at the earliest levels, it's mostly a turning fight, but it gets more involved as you advance), not a grind until you cry kind of game. I think people are right in that the initial rush will fade (people powerleveled to Admiral in no time) but that happens with every MMOG after the Powergamers move on. I think there's a core that will stick with this one, and without a divided population like WAR (where they gorged themselves then starved because they weren't scalable) it might just stick around awhile.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo