Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

16. Re: BC2 Beta Dates; No Mod Tools or Public Server Distribution Jan 9, 2010, 05:47 RocketChef

One question to all the "haters": Was there ever one game in the history of the Battlefield series for the PC where there were ONLY official EA (dedicated) servers? Even the Gamespy auth servers for BF42 are still running...

I think they will give some kind of trust and/or contract to GSPs for hosting dedicated servers which you can rent. But the advantages for DICE in not giving the files to public use is clear: 1. they can control which GSP hosts a server 2. no server-side hacks to bypass serial checks for the clients (win for EA/DICE *and* fair to the paying players) 3. harder to build hacks/cheats which were developed by studying the client-server packets in depth (win for DICE *and* the fair-players). LAN is the big downside but I think in times of fast and lag-free internet for everybody that is not a big loss. I have to wait till its out but I think on my 16K/1M ADSL connection could take a 4 player squad mini-LAN when playin on the internet.

No mod support? I'am fine with this this time. I see BFBC2 more of a financial step to fund a BF3 development where the modding community should be supported!

I suggest to wait until it's out before sending out apocalyptic prayers. Remember the "MW2 we want dedicated servers" steam group? Even if you argue here this picture told me that there is still a 50/50 chance that you will buy the game. I did not but I will support DICE and buy BFBC2 - hey... it's the first ever PC BFBC!

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2010, 05:47.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo