Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

5. Re: Op Ed Dec 10, 2009, 15:04 Ruffiana

There's no rational business model behind artistic innovation.

To fall back on the movie analogy, I've generally been far more entertained by the summer blockbuster than that majority of independent films I've had to suffer through. Yes, occasionally there's a gem. A film that tells a wonderful story in a beautiful and unexpected way without requiring A list talent or millions of dollars of special effects...but those gems are the exception, not the rule. Most 'indie' people seem to fall into the trappings of fighting against anything mainstream or mass market on principle alone...and that's just as toxic as making decisions based on business principle alone. The best stuff, in my opinion, finds a way to strike a balance and do what's best for the film.

I wasn't that impressed with Braid. Not enough to actually buy the game. I thought World of Goo was entertaining and reasonably priced, so I purchased that. But I've played the shit out of Left 4 Dead, Dragon Age, and dozens of other big budget, AAA titles. I'd kill for a remake of Super Metroid with absolutely nothing new but the entire game rebuilt as a 2D side-scroller in a modern 3D engine.

Call me shallow, call me a sheep, but my money's just as real and valuable as anyone else's, and I know what I like. Indie, AAA, whatever...I just like good games and have sense enough to know that we can never agree on what that is.

This comment was edited on Dec 10, 2009, 15:04.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo