Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

62. Re: EA on Dec 9, 2009, 10:10 DG

Millions\Billions a year is not enough for them
um, "Millions\Billions" doesn't mean anything without context. "Millions\Billions" made by one person is not the same as "Millions\Billions" divided amongst "Millions\Billions" of shareholders (most of which are institutional - your insurance and pension fund).

What is relevant is the earnings in relation to capital invested and risk. If you put $100 into government bonds and make $100 profit, and I get 100,000 people together and we put $10m on a horse and make $10k between us then you say I'm more greedy.

despite what some people may claim, have very little in the way fixed overhead costs
What? They have hardly any variable costs. Firstly they're all fixed in nature (or at least semifixed, like salaries) and secondly once a game ships they're sunk costs - no cost can be variable if it cannot be stopped due to already having been spent.

For what it's worth I'd agree that often corporations are "greedy" in the sense that they focus on short term profits at the expense of a stronger long term view (which tends to benefit both companies and customers, in the long term).

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2009, 10:30.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo