Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

45. Re: Far Cry 3 Confirmed Nov 27, 2009, 07:56 Jerykk

There's a whole shit-tonne of stuff you can do in real life that you can't do in a computer game but that doesn't mean it isn't immersive.

I guess it's a good thing I never said that. I said that lean makes realistic/pseudorealistic games more immersive and that's a fact. Just like being able to jump, crouch and go prone makes shooters more immersive.

I mean, free head movement for one - the way the viewpoint is fixed on where you're aiming. Surely that's more important than lean? And yet that's not a common feature (ArmAII has it but that's about it).

It's not a common feature because it's very difficult to implement. In the case of ArmA, it requires third-party hardware (TrackIR). Lean, on the other hand, only requires two keys.

You were talking about immersion earlier and yet you don't have a problem with the degree of lean always being exactly the same?

I think the lack of lean is a much greater issue than having variable degrees of lean. Your argument seems to be that lean is completely worthless unless you have variable control over it. By that logic, you could argue that jumping or crouching is worthless unless you can control the height or that walking is useless unless you can control the speed. Having finite control over a function is not always necessary. Simply having that function is usually enough.

Far Cry 2 had HUGE immersion because of the embodiment of the player in the character and yet you're moaning about lean, which has a much lesser impact upon immersion.

Sorry, I disagree entirely. I don't think seeing my character's limbs adds a great deal to immersion and it doesn't really have any practical benefit. Leaning, on the other hand, does. It reduces exposure of your hitbox and makes it less likely that the AI will see. It also lets you make more effective use of cover.

I think that Far Cry 2 was one of the most progressive games in recent history.

I think the game had some progressive ideas but the execution was a complete failure.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo