Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

55. Re: MW2 Tomorrow Nov 9, 2009, 22:40 spindoctor

I realize its the B&M outlets that are being placated with the delayed release but at some point the publishers are going to need to take a stand. Gamestop/EB barely give any retail space to PC games to begin with so its not like they are losing a huge amount of cash against DD anyhow.

Be that as it may, they probably still sell more PC copies than digital distribution. Besides, Gamestop's leverage comes from the massive console sales it has.... the number of PC copies it carries hardly enters into the equation. Remember, Activision makes it's money on sales to Gamestop, and not from their sales to the individual customers. So they would want to keep them happy.

The question of why publishers can't be more firm is kind of cyclic. The retailers exercise their influence to ensure that digital distribution rates remain at MSRP, while they themselves will lower prices and attract more sales. The more sales they have, the more leverage they have and the they can keep pressing publishers to treat digital distribution as the step child, which benefits them and leads to more sales again.

I also read within the last few weeks that Gamestop has finally understood that they need a presence in the digital distribution market as well, and that they are shopping around. From what I read, Impulse and Metaboli are 2 of the prime candidates for acquisition.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo