Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

34. Re: Pripyat Calls on DX11 Sep 11, 2009, 22:17 Creston

I know SS gets a lot of love but it reminds me a lot of people my Dad's age still drooling over "muscle" cars from 40 years ago. Far better have come out since that time but nostalgia and a certain amount of resistance to newness makes the acceptance of these better, more modern variants hard for the old codgers.

The reason people still love the old muscle cars is because they're

A) Beautiful.
B) Absolutely fucking FUN to drive.

Sure there are better cars now. My Mazda 3 is a fantastic car, it would beat a 67 Mustang Fastback hands down in pretty much every category you could think of. But I can't powerslide my Mazda 3 through a 120 degree turn at 60mph while my tires are smoking.

So yeah, there've been games that are better graphically than System Shock, and there are games that have better voice acting, and a better engine, and better roleplaying and better powers. But I don't think there's ever been a game where it all meshed together so well and TRULY immersed you into its world. And to think, its highest resolution was 640x480 (which I didn't even discover until after I'd played through it like four times already) with 16 bit color.

I would literally pay 200 dollars a copy of a remake of System Shock with a modern engine, say Dunia, or Id Tech 5.

Creston

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo