Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

15. Re: Op Ed Jul 16, 2009, 14:48 eunichron

I'd guess you're a hardcore player, right? Because that sort of player is the only sort that seems to believe that just because you can complete a raid dungeon after running it every week for a month or two that it's too easy.
I was. I was "hardcore" until about 2 months ago. The guild I was in was a top 50 US guild to clear Sunwell Plateau, we cleared Naxx less than a week after WotLK's release, we had most of the achievements done (including 3 drake Sartharion) within a month of WotLK's release.

We cleared Ulduar in the first week of 3.1's release (13/14 bosses). Before I quit raiding 2 months ago we had a few hard modes down, but most of them were impossible, or just severely overtuned, at the time.

But I quit for the same reasons you're saying that casual players are becoming disenfranchised with the game. There's nothing to do outside of raiding, and that was Blizzard's design with WotLK. People complained that less than 1% of players ever got to see 40man Kel'thuzad, only 1-2% got to see Kil'jaeden before the big 3.0 nerf. Blizzard changed the game to FORCE players into raiding. They did this by de-emphasizing max level dungeons and heroics, and by making normal raids and 10man raids (not hard modes) easier... so that the casual player can log on for 2 hours and join a Naxx pug. Or the more casual raiding guilds (not individual casual players) aren't smashing their heads against X boss for months on end. They didn't do this just because they want the game to be raiding and only raiding, they did it because that's what the casual players were complaining about in the previous expansion; that they didn't get to see this content before new content was released.

The game -is- more casual friendly because the raids are easier, not just the raids but all of the content, that was the whole point of Wrath's design. Easier content for more players. That's what casual players were asking for. But now it's coming back to bite them in the ass, because even the casual players that only play a few hours every week are running out of things to do in those few hours. While the hardcore raiders are being bored to death by easy raids and hard modes that they can clear in a night or two.

This comment was edited on Jul 16, 2009, 14:50.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo