Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

1. Re: Op Ed Jul 14, 2009, 10:42 eRe4s3r

The only reason DRM worked well for UCCE and GCES in preventing 0-day, and really any kind of piracy is because no pirate wanted to play the games. Not because they are bad games, but because they are catering to such a specific target audience that, given the lack of 0-day warez, the people who want to play it probably are buying it instead of waiting for a crack. And if there is no demand for a crack - no crack will be made.

So in many ways what Mr. Smart writes is spot on - And as much as i hate DRM, for a niche market developer decent DRM seems mandatory - sure if its really in demand it will be cracked - weeks or months or years after release. The pirates will wait anyway, and if theres no crack, simply not care.

And people coming with Stardock now - last time i checked every patch for galciv 2 or Sins (in sins even the expansion) had to be cracked.. So Stardock is using DRM just as much as anyone else.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo