Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

67. Re: Quick observation Aug 20, 2002, 17:21 anon@216.23

I wasn't trying to connect those four things at all, so I'm not sure how you're getting that. If you substitute "someone doing something less than moral with your personal information" for the last phrase, you'd be more correct.

In your sentence, the first two phrases are examples of how privacy is breeched and can be extrapolated into what will happen in extreme cases. The third is simply a result of what can happen, again in some extreme cases. The last is what sparked everything to begin with. I don't understand the point you are making -- I believe you misunderstand me (or I wasn't being clear, in which case, I apologize).

In all honesty, I was more concerned that someone would misunderstand me and assume that I meant that releasing personal information on a messageboard would result in something as serious as being beaten to death, which of course, I doubt would happen.

The point I was trying to make was that what other people do to you or think has a definite repercussion on you. For one poster, it was making a joke about asthma, which resulted in the straw breaking the camel's back, in regards to Blue and the messageboard.

Unfortunently, we cannot all be privy to what is going to set someone off. I am sure that you have heard gay jokes, or sexist jokes, or race jokes, and probably laughed at some of them, not realizing how offensive they were to others (or even realizing, but simply not caring because the jokes were (accurately) amusing). How was the first poster to know that MsBlue was an asthmatic? But, you say, he shouldn't have made such an insensitive joke about it in the first place. To which I say I hope you never laughed at a joke which could make someone feel offended.

Because of this, it's impossible to accurately not offend everyone. No matter what you say, you'll offend someone, and rather than not say anything, it has to be a two-way street -- the person saying or writing the offense needs to take into consideration the feelings of others, but the person receiving it needs to not overreact.

Unfortunently, I am at a disadvantage -- what I am trying to say is not coming out as well as I want it to.

However, I apologize in advance if either you took my post the wrong way, or I typed something incorrectly.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo