Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

90. Re: Zeno Clash v. Piracy May 2, 2009, 08:11 StingingVelvet

The problem here is that your sense of morality is comprised of absolutes. You are either a noble and honorable consumer who buys everything you have or you are a scum-sucking thief who steals everything and then laughs about it. There's no middle ground. If a pirate buys a game, obviously it's only to ease their conscience and not to reward a developer for making a good game.

The best analogy I can think of is the D&D alignment system. Lawful Good, Chaotic Good, Lawful Neutral, Chaotic Evil, etc. Based on your arguments, it seems like you only believe in Lawful Good and Chaotic Evil.

And you have +20 on your rationalization ability, but you're the only one it's effective on.

The simple fact of the matter is that "I'm going to take your product, use it as much as I want, then decide whether to pay you for it" is complete B.S.. You have done a great job making it sound completely cool and OK and not at all stealing from struggling developers, but that's exactly what it is.

I'm not saying it doesn't benefit you, or for that matter the consumer, but that's not the point. If I go to a restaurant I have never been to before, you bet your ass I would like to eat the meal, then decide if it was good enough to purchase. I can't do that though, because I ate the meal either way and need to pay for the privledge. If you play a game and never pay anything for it, you stole the game... the problem with your "moral middle-ground" is that you miss the obvious moral absolute sitting right in front of you.

If you really want to never pay for anything you don't know for certain you enjoy before hand, only buy games with demos. No demo? No sale. And tell the publisher why. Or just buy games praised by trusted persons, which is what I do, and I am rarely dissapointed (f'ing Saint's Row 2!).

All you're doing now is adding to the piracy statistics, adding seeds to pirated games for those who will NOT buy them, no matter what, and most importantly, to me anyway, contributing to the low opinion of PC game sales.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo