Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

88. Re: Zeno Clash v. Piracy May 2, 2009, 01:47 Jerykk

Are you really trying to suggest that stealing is alright?

I'm saying that the act of theft alone holds no meaning. It all depends on context. If I'm stealing medicine from somebody who will die without it, that's a pretty mean thing to do. If I'm stealing guns from a warlord who would use them to commit genocide, that's a pretty nice move on my behalf. If I download a game, enjoy it and buy it, the act of stealing is rendered completely irrelevant. The developers made a good game and were rewarded for it. Conversely, if I play a game for an hour and don't enjoy it, I won't reward the developers because they didn't make a good game.

Think of it like this: The purpose of food is to provide sustenance. If I go to a restaurant, order a meal, eat it and find out it isn't very good, I'm still obligated to pay for it because it provided sustenance. The purpose of a game is to provide entertainment. If I play a game and it bores me, I'm not going to pay for it because it failed to provide me with entertainment. The key difference is that food gives you a lot more choice. If food is undercooked, you can demand that the restaurant cook it some more. If you find a dead rat in your meal, you can get a new meal. If your meal makes you vomit, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't charge for it. With games, you're pretty much screwed once you hand over your money. You can't return it, there's no guarantee that the game will work, there's no guarantee that the game will be fixed, there's no guarantee that the game isn't a piece of crap.

Simply put: I'm not going to pay for the privilege of playing a game. I'm only going to pay for the privilege of playing a game that I actually enjoy.

That's all this is... people trying to justify piracy because they don't want to pay for games. By occasionally buying a game pirates ease their conscience and justify it in their mind.

The problem here is that your sense of morality is comprised of absolutes. You are either a noble and honorable consumer who buys everything you have or you are a scum-sucking thief who steals everything and then laughs about it. There's no middle ground. If a pirate buys a game, obviously it's only to ease their conscience and not to reward a developer for making a good game.

The best analogy I can think of is the D&D alignment system. Lawful Good, Chaotic Good, Lawful Neutral, Chaotic Evil, etc. Based on your arguments, it seems like you only believe in Lawful Good and Chaotic Evil.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo