Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

106. Re: On Dark Athena DRM Apr 13, 2009, 16:29 Tumbler

I don't care for DRM but they do need to do something. It drives me crazy when someone is playing a game before I was able to while paying nothing for it.

Agreed. And other companies are doing things differently.

Relic has done a TON for Company of Heroes. In order to play online you need a legit CD key attached to an account and they continue to balance and improve their game and I think they started using SecuRom or something similar to that but none of it requires any type of online activation. You can't play online unless you create that account but using their online service is so much more convenient than having to drop my CD in each time. And their latest patch allows players without the Tales of Valor expansion to play against people with the expansion, plus they added little achievements and updated the whole interface with certain content locked out. They also offer updates via bitorrent which is very cool.

Relic has made promises on DoW2 as well to support it in a similar fashion but so far...they are releasing a patch today supposedly, with a new map...so let's hope that continues.

Valve, in general, supports all their games after release. Plenty of love for these games, it's wonderful to see this content showing up only to paying customers. I don't play TF2 very much but I was happy to drop the dollars on it just because they keep adding to it.

Stardock offered a ton of improvement and updates for Galactic Civilizations 2, and it was a great feeling getting those updates because I was a legit owner. (I don't think you had access to the patches if you weren't an online registered user)

Supreme commander offers a ton of updates online through their service. You can find mods, replays, patches, etc all through their online component. It's not in game content but it's a very big incentive to play the game online.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo