Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

102. Re: On Dark Athena DRM Apr 13, 2009, 08:53 StingingVelvet

If what you say is true, why are movies, music and games still selling? After all, anybody can download all three things with ease. Movies and music have virtually no copy-protection yet they continue to be very successful industries. Games are harder to pirate, yes, but not that much harder. If nobody wanted to pay for them, they would simply download them.

You're completely ignoring the quality factor. Yes, with music you're mostly paying because you choose to, but it's also heavily documented that this caused the music industry to crash and lose tons and tons of revenue. They mostly profit from concerts and licensing now, which are not things you can pirate away from them.

Movies on the other hand most people pay for quality. The average bootleg sucks, quality wise, and has no special features. With HDTVs taking over people want decent looking content... you might know where to get great quality HD bootlegs, but I doubt most people do, or have the time/patience to download them and find the right codec to run them.

Which brings on another fact, that people want easy to use products. You think people all know where to download free movies and games, but that's just not true. I have people on forums ask me on a daily basis how to submit a Steam support ticket, or how to search for a patch on google, or how to use fraps. All that is easy to figure out on your own, but people can't do it. The average IQ in America is like 92 I think... people aren't smart on average... most of them probably buy DVDs and games because it's damn easy to do so, go to the store and buy it, put the disc in, play it, and voila! Looking at rental disc bottoms some people even have a hard time with this.

The simple fact is that if you had a guy stand outside Gamestop handing out free copies of some new game, no charge no questions, very few people would walk past him to buy the game. People enjoy the benefits of capitalism but they don't think about the cause and effect relationship of the system, their role in it or anything else... they just want their shit. We're an incredibly selfish species.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo