Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

95. Re: On Dark Athena DRM Apr 10, 2009, 15:49 Jerykk

For all the bitching I see about capitalism on the Internet from pirates and college girls, I have yet to see someone offer a better alternative. History has shown time and time again the alternatives don't work, so this is what we have.

I agree that capitalism is the most effective economic system thus far. However, morality isn't part of the equation. The goal in capitalism is to make as much money as possible and that usually entails a distinct lack of morality, as evident by Atari's use of DRM.

A fundemental aspect of capitalism is you support those who make a good product or service you want to see continue...

A fundamental aspect of capitalism is giving people a reason to give you money. DRM doesn't do this and instead gives a people a reason not to give you money.

So are all FPS games released since Wolfenstein clones that deserve no money?

Deserve? This isn't a matter of what deserves to happen. From what I've read, Titan Quest is a solid Diablo-clone that fans of Diablo would probably enjoy. However, what deserves to happen is rarely what actually happens. PC's deserve to the lead platform for gaming but they aren't. Space sims and adventure games deserve attention from American publishers but that doesn't happen. PC games deserve the same amount of marketing as console games but that doesn't happen. Did Iron Lore deserve better? Sure. But in capitalism, it isn't about what you deserve, it's about what you get and Iron Lore didn't get enough consumers interested in their games.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo