Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 16, 2009, 21:13 Aero

The peripheral thing really irks me about the Xbox360. I've been keeping my eye on the consoles, waiting for the prices to fall to a point where it's worth it to me.

I like racing sims a lot, but the pickings for good simulations on consoles are slim: Gran Tourismo on the PS3 and Forza & RACE Pro on the 360.

I understand that realism-wise Forza is the best. The trouble is that by all accounts the Microsoft steering wheel is utter garbage. Moreover, they won't license their force feedback implementation to other manufacturers, so there is no way out of getting shafted one way or the other.

The PS3 on the other hand will take a G25 which is an excellent wheel, and force feedback support isn't restricted (I understand there were some licensing catches, but that they've been sorted out by now). It also works with a PC to boot so knock $100 of the price of the PS3 because I don't have to buy another wheel as I would with the Xbox.

A good wheel really is necessary for these sorts of games, and even if Forza is more realistic than Gran Tourismo, having to use a crappy Microsoft wheel or a wheel with hobbled force feedback would pretty much wreck the experience.

Then there are the other games, and I'm told here that the Xbox360 is better in that regard. Racing sims may be my primary interest, but I like other games too, so I have to keep this in mind as well.

Really, that's what's messing it all up. I'm probably towards the extreme end of people nitpicking about peripherals, but from my perspective, each console has a very fundamental flaw--peripherals or software. Ultimately, that is putting me off all of them. It probably won't be until next Christmas that the prices of both start getting in the range where I'd pick up one or the other just for the hell of it, so we'll see how things go by then.

Maybe I ought to just buy a Wii and one of those boards for my girlfriend to dance around on.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo