Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

59. Re: Games for Windows Boss Axed Jan 27, 2009, 07:26  dsmart 

@ Scott

The whole GfWL effort seemed little more than lip-service to PC gaming from the start, and they never really had a clue what to do. A small sample:

IIRC, GfWL was originally announced to have no voice ability for Silver accounts, but they back-pedalled that right before release.

They tried to use GfWL to sell copies of Vista initially (it originally required Vista for no technical reason), but they changed their mind on that and enabled it for XP after some backlash (though most didn't care enough).

They pushed console vs PC play hard as a big thing which tanked, as most people knew would happen.

They alienated many game developers by having heavy restrictions on what features developers could add to their games (not permitted to compete with current nor future GfWL Gold features). Difficult questions were met with vague responses.

They changed their mind about the fees, and in a desperate measure, made Gold subscriptions free.

After claiming they understood the importance of having a standalone desktop GfWL client, a year and a half later, they finally release a half-baked client that is little more than a download portal (no friends list, no messaging of any form).

Did I miss any?

Nope, you didn't miss anything. That pretty much sums it up nicely.

I think some of you forget that they switched the PC side to free.

Free != Better

atm, the only reason it is even used is because some popular games (e.f. Fallout3) use it. If it wasn't for the fact that large (the ONLY ones using it) publishers are somehow required to use if if they want to jump on the [non-existent] Gamers For Windows brand marketing, NOBODY would bother with GfW or GfW Live. Period.

MS made too many missteps and by the time they realized they were doing a completely rubbish job of it, Steam had already steamrolled (lol, I keeel me!) through and became the somewhat de facto standard for ESD.

Heck, MS couldn't even KEEP a Windows storefront in any way, shape or form. Look no further than their failed ESD storefront over at windowsmarketplace.com which they - again - relaunched in 08/06.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2009, 07:27.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo