Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

1. Re: Game Reviews Dec 9, 2008, 01:33 Morgan19

So based on the replies I got on this morning's review of GTA, I took a chance and picked it up this evening.

...I have to wonder if I'm playing the same game everyone else is. o_O The install(s) went fine-- the only hiccup I had was LIVE crashing once when I first signed up and it hasn't happened again. Got into the game and my setting were set to texture:Medium and render:High. The only setting that bumps up the "available resources" number was view distance; I've maxed out Detail Distance and Shadow Density with no discernible performance hit. It feels very, very weird playing with keyboard/mouse as I've been using to playing past versions on the PS2, so I might fall back on old habits and pick up an XBOX controller instead.

I *will* say that this is honestly the first game where I've felt like I'm being "granted the privilege" of playing what I've paid for, with the extra stuff to install and agree to. But even so, the Live and SocialClub aspects of it (so far, anyway) seem almost invisible to me, apart from the initial in-your-face'ness.

Here're a few of the pertinent system components (built within the last month), if anyone is interested for comparison's sake:

CPU: Intel C2D E8400
GPU: 9800 GTX+
Memory: 4GB DDR2 (XP recognizes 3.25 of it)

From what I was reading, I thought my core2 system would've choked on the game but, apart from some extremely goofy-looking shadows, it's playing like a champ.

(EDIT-) Got to play a bit more and the only other issue I've seen is the ground texture went transparent on me when I ESC out of the main menu just now. Perhaps that's the missing texture syndrome some people have mentioned?

m19

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2008, 01:46.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo