Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

11. Re: Gabe Newell and Chet Faliszek on Left 4 Dead Nov 22, 2008, 13:03 rist3903

All Valve has done here is the equivalent of putting a heartrate monitor on a guy watching a movie. Sure, that tells you when the subject is excited and when calm, but what that tells you about how you should plot your movie is another question entirely.

Well, no of course it doesn't tell you how you should plot your movie, but it is hard data that can be used by people who have experience in storytelling to create scenarios that have palpable tension.

I have encountered a few of these during the game and was on the edge of my seat. Once a tank attacked my friends and I and had killed 3 people and was gunning for our last. The 3 of us cheered him on as he limped across the bridge towards safety, the tank on his tail. A smoker latched onto him from above the safe room caboose but he managed to kill it before it dragged him and inched inside. It was definitely a moment that will stay with me for a long time.

It is not a perfect system and there is room for improvement. Fortunately it was made by Valve. These guys know a thing or two about honing games, both pre and post release.

This comment was edited on Nov 22, 2008, 20:13.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo