Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

48. Re: Stardock's DRM Plans Oct 25, 2008, 14:53 Aero

If publishers are going to insist on online activation, I would prefer to see a system similar to that in Live For Speed.

--It doesn't install any drivers.

--You have a maximum of three activations at any one time, but you get one more added at the end of every week (therefore you have two extras). So if you use one of your extras, it will be replaced on Friday morning. You are however limited to having it installed on two computers at any one time, with one activation to spare.

--Your installation is tied to an account on their server, you can download the game anytime you want (it's a demo version until you unlock it).

IMO, this is an okay system. LFS is pretty much an online game though, so for a single player game they would probably have to limit you to downloading the software using your login on their server. There are cracks out there for it, of course, so they probably wouldn't want to pay for bandwidth to allow pirates to download it.

Of course I'd prefer no DRM. All DRM should do is try to prevent you from lending your disk to all your friends for them to install it. This seems like a reasonable use to me, it would keep the non-technically adept from pirating it, and that's about the best you can do. Online activation is good for that, better than a CD key. I'm not opposed to online activation in general, just the way SecurRom does it. Do it the way LFS does, and I don't mind so much.

addendum:

Oh also, I don't really mind Steam at all. That's a decent system enough system.

This comment was edited on Oct 25, 2008, 15:15.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo