Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

16. Re: Stardock's DRM Plans Oct 24, 2008, 23:02 Shadowcat

I want to be able to play my games without needing to put a CD/DVD in the drive each time. I take care of my discs, but it's still a concern, and an inconvenience. I want to play my single-player and LAN games (or portions thereof) without having to have an internet connection. An internet connection should not be required unless internet communication is integral to the game itself.

I do not want to ever need to 'activate' a game online, because no matter how much the relevant party assures me that they will (a) always be there, or (b) patch this behaviour out of each and every one of their games if they ever go out of business, I do NOT want to have to RELY on this being the case. I play a lot of old games, and in many cases the developer or publisher is no longer around; and even when they are very much alive and kicking I have found (to my disgust) that it is not uncommon to be unable to find ANY support information for an older game on the publisher's own web site (and a Flash-laden rubbish web site it usually is, too), so this is a serious issue to me, and frankly I have lost faith in long-term support.

I am entirely happy to have a unique serial number supplied with the game, which I must enter when I install it.

If I purchase a download, I would very much LIKE to be able to download the game repeatedly in the future. This is largely because writeable CDs and DVDs do not have the same reliability and longevity as stamped discs, so I simply cannot make a backup disc that I can guarantee will work at some arbitrary point in the future. I wouldn't insist on this, but it would be a highly attractive feature.

I see myself giving a lot of my future business to GOG.com and those indie developers who eschew DRM entirely, but if Stardock is happy to release titles in the manner I've outlined, then I will be very happy to do my business with them as well. (I am aware that their own titles seem to have a very reasonable approach, so I am thinking more about their third-party titles here.)

I have a large collection of PC games representing a serious sum of money poured into this hobby to date, but modern DRM methods have already been actively putting me off buying new games. (I won't pirate them, but nor will I be giving anyone any money.)

I'm sorry the piracy situation exists, I really am. It sucks. But while I can get my gaming fixes from legitimate customer-friendly sources, I have little desire to deal any longer with increasingly severe restrictions that the pirates themselves do not have to worry about -- and even the more minor restrictions are becoming irritating in the face of some delightfully DRM-free alternatives.

Start caring about the honest gamers again, and we'll come to the party.
This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2008, 23:07.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo