Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

20. Re: id super pack = killer deal Sep 6, 2008, 08:57 DG

Yeah it's due to publisher's retail agreements. The publisher agrees with the Euro distributor that online sales will be sold at no less than RRP in those countries. It substantially negates the benefit of Steam.

For me in the UK, anything "published" by "independents" like Valve or Id tends to be priced at whatever they feel like charging, and at the US price to boot (just adding VAT). This means they can price to the market and pass on savings. Every time I've looked at this, steam has been considerably cheaper than physical stores and usually better (but always at least competitive) with etailers, even if this is largely due to US "RRP" being considerably lower than the UK's.

Other publishers are usually the same prices on steam as at physical UK stores at launch. At first glance this seems neutral and in some respects fair, if annoying.

However in practice Steam is singificantly more expensive than physical stores. Stores can discount their stocks whenever they want, etailers are usually notably below RRP at launch. CoD4 for example is still $69.99 [40] on Steam, or 30 on Play.com (35 in stores). And CoD seems to be holding up it's price unusually well, I was expecting 20-25 on Play by now.

If all games were sold on steam like Valve and Id ones, I'd buy all may games through there. Frankly I resent that half of my money goes on expenses that could be eliminated via a modern distribution system like Steam, and doubly resent that I'm supposed to pay double the price that is charged in the US for the same product.

So I'll buy the occasional superb PC title, the occasional Steam bargains but otherwise just rent for the 360.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo