Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

3. Dumbing it down Aug 10, 2008, 08:45 Shadowcat

I'm saying, do you prefer to have a targeted, "These are the kind of players that we want," or do you want it to be truly, truly, "everyone can pick that up" type of game?

CK: Well, we want to sell our game to as many people as possible, because we don't believe that the game has to be brought down to any particular group of people; we believe that all gamers are intelligent, and all gamers want an exciting, mature, intellectual, and deep gaming experience.
If you happen to read this, Chris, I'd just like to point out that this is what people mean when they say you are "dumbing it down for console". The expression may be based upon stereotypes, but the point is that the notion that a game should be for everyone implies a lowest common denominator that you are explicitly pandering to.

You know that saying "You can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time"?

A truly great game is quite likely to be like the former. It probably won't be for everyone (because amazingly enough, different people like different things), but those who like it will LOVE it, and it will be remembered as a classic of its kind.

Your attitude will ultimately produce games fitting the second statement. It caters to everyone, but each person will only love it some of the time. These games might sell well, but will never be remembered as truly great, because almost everyone who plays it will be left thinking "if only..."

I'm not saying that it's not a valid business direction (although as a gamer it genuinely saddens me to see it happen), but it would be nice if you (and other people treading the same path) would accept that by going in this direction you absolutely are "dumbing it down".

This comment was edited on Aug 10, 08:46.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo