Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

30. Dark Engine Jul 11, 2008, 09:40 Shadowcat

Shock 2 and Thief 1/Gold/2 are (for most people) running very nicely on recent hardware thanks to the sterling efforts behind ddfix and the widescreen mod. TTLG's servers had a hardware failure and won't be back up until after the weekend, but Google has the relevant thread cached: http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:-w03DOKM2fIJ:www.ttlg.com/FORUMS/showthread.php%3Ft%3D117616

I can't help but think that support could turn out to be a problem for GOG, given that they are intending for all games to work under XP and Vista. I think it's most unlikely that they'll have the resources to subject each game to the kind of testing that a game would undergo before its original release, and there may well be issues running them on the newer operating systems that don't rear their heads immediately. Hopefully they don't get bogged down dealing with such things.

I'd also say that it's time for some people who try to justify piracy to put their money where their mouth is. Cheap prices, no DRM, absolutely no excuse not to buy.

And while I hate to sound overly-dramatic over just an announcement, it occurs to me that this site is something most of us have only ever dreamed would happen. In today's market, the idea of anyone releasing classic games, DRM-free, that 'just work' on your modern PC is just extraordinary. If this project was to fail due to people not even being willing to fork out $6-10 for a classic game, who knows if we would ever get another opportunity like it?

Someone is actually doing this. I'd say it's time to jump on board with both feet, and make sure it's here to stay That goes even if the service turns out to be a bit lacking to begin with. Hopefully it will be fine, but in any case it's bound to improve with time -- just so long as the company is still around to improve it.

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 09:48.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo