Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

173. Re: Not Only That... Jul 5, 2002, 14:46 anon@24.247

Hey, I represent that. I'm a teenager and have been actively playing video games since Wolfenstein debuted when I was 7. Now granted, plenty of teenagers are mindless sheep who feel "angsty" because their moms won't buy them those $50 bondage pants from Hot Topic, but that doesn't mean we're all like that by any means. But I consider myself to have a strong moral consciousness. I realize what this game is trying to do, and while it may increase my awareness and respect for the Army, it won't convince me to join. I pay taxes and I'm fine that some of it is going toward video game development, thanks to our ballooning defense budget. I don't think this will directly compete with current games or affect the economy. It's like putting bottled water next to a drinking fountain. The masses may run to the fountain and call it good, but those who know what's best will buy the bottle anyway.

169- I don't think they're hoping it will influence people to join the Military in a mind-control way, but more of an "hey, being a soldier is pretty cool" way. Remember, they tried to model the life and environment of a soldier as accurately as possible. Comparing it to Crazy Taxi and Super Smash Bros. isn't fair- those weren't meant to be accurate depictions of the trade. Besides, don't you think there were some people out there who played flight sims that made them want to become pilots? The airline industry just didn't pursue that as a marketing tool.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo