Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

35. Re: No subject Jun 4, 2008, 12:26 wallace321

Carmack's engines paved the way for Team Fortress (the quake mod) and Half-Life, and then, indirectly, Half Life 2 and Team Fortress 2. I'd say he's been more than relevant in the last 10 years.

Having said that, Cryengine 1 led to nothing but FarCry spinoffs but at least Cryengine 2 (according to Wikipedia) is being used in a handful of games currently in development. Still, CryTek doesn't hold a candle to Carmack's influence on the industry. CryTek doesn't even come close to Unreal engine in terms of industry influence.

I think Carmack picked Crysis strictly because it's got the prettiest engine on the market and it didn't sell very well despite it, NOT because he thinks it's as good looking as PC games can get (because it isn't) or because he thought it had revolutionary gameplay (because it didn't).

Crysis was PC Gaming's money shot and it choked; probably because of reputation it had for system requirments. Hell, somone on THESE forums thought it required Vista! That was probably at least partly because of the Games for Windows debacle, but that's another issue.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo