Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

289. Re: @Jerykk May 9, 2008, 11:12 Tigger

This is just plain false. There has never been a game impossible to pirate, correct? There is no prevention from piracy or prevention of stealing in these schemes because the pirates software is not affected by this. There is a delay at best.

I'm sorry you don't know how to read:

Last, at the end, fighting piracy is not a winnable battle. Even when a company owns the platform (Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo), there are always loopholes to be exploited. I had a good teacher in college a number of years ago who said something to the effect of "If it was designed by a human, a human will eventually figure out how to crack it."

Furthermore, you seem to agree with my point about copy protection being a measure used, first and foremost, as a step to make money as well as a step to prevent people from stealing:

These systems will prevent people from reselling or sharing games with others. The end result will be end users forced to always buy new copies of software if they want to play instead of using ebay or craigslist to find a used copy and buy that one. Retail stores will still offer bargain bin games from time to time but this will become much less likely since there is no secondary market to compete with.

It's very similar to how Valve operates now. It's not likely you'll buy a used copy of valve software because someone has to pay valve $10 to unregister that unique ID. Which is crap and why I refuse to spend any more money on steam games.

That is what these companies want. They want everyone to have to purchase the software from them without any resale possible on the secondary market.

This comment was edited on May 9, 11:15.

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo