Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

27. Re: No subject Jul 31, 2007, 16:15 Zathrus

Last week I ordered a fancy one that is solar powered

Silly Enahs.

Powered attic fans can actually increase your energy bills because when they draw air out of the attic they have to draw new air in from somewhere. And if you don't have enough ventilation in your attic then it'll come from the living space. So now you're losing air conditioned air to the attic, and the living space is pulling in hot air from the outside.

Of course, this is only an issue if you don't have enough ventilation in your attic. But even so, convection powered fans are generally more than adequate. Of course, ridge vents are best, but that's not exactly a simple retrofit...

The only thing not great are the windows, but that unfortunately is way out of my budget to upgrade to more energy efficient windows

Even the most efficient window is a hole in the wall compared to, well, a wall. Unless you have single-paned windows that leak like a sieve, it's questionable that you'd ever regain the investment from new windows. (There are other reasons for new windows; just saying that going from double paned to triple-ultra-hyper-uber-efficient is usually not worth it).

They spend millions a year to tell me how evil I am, instead of using that money to lobby the government to offer tax incentives on upgrading to more energy efficient equipment and such

Er... they spend money on both. Thing is, when you're looking for a government handout, that money has to come from somewhere... so it's not too hard to lobby against such government programs when you can argue that you won't have to cut other programs, increase taxes, etc.

Many of the electric companies offer rebates in conjunction with manufacturers, even without government incentive. It's a win-win situation for them -- the power company doesn't have to spin up costly secondary plants (which cost much more to run than they can bill residential customers) or buy power from another company (ditto) and the manufacturer gets to sell you stuff and make money.

That is a lot better for the environment then telling me I and the oil companies are evil.

But... you are evil...

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo