Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

72. Re: Credit cards Apr 26, 2007, 09:03 Riley Pizt

*yawn* Apparently you also forgot Half Life 2 released at retail also required Steam.
There you go again not considering the text in context to the referring posts which preceded it. I didn't forget. I was referring to how Steam changed the catalog of Valve's games which predate Steam. Happyclam responded to that point, and I was addressing it again. Next time read my post in context to the referring ones.

LOL, you don't keep your original CD's?
Again, seriously learn to read. The operative word here is "online." I cannot play the games which predate Steam ONLINE, i.e. in Internet multiplayer mode.

Apparently the "2" attached to the title Team Fortress didn't come to your attention. You should regain your reading comprehension. The intention of most game sequels is to carry on or build upon the original's gameplay.

Or would it make more sense for Battlefield 2142 to completely dump what made its predecessor so popular?
A game sequel doesn't necessarily and certainly need not duplicate or carry on the original's gameplay. From what I have read, Team Fortress 2 is basically Team Fortress Classic gameplay right down to the same venues (maps), classes/characters, and weapons. Whereas to use your example of Battlefield 2142 versus Battlefield 2, there are much greater differences between the two games, e.g. the vehicles are different, the weapons are different, the maps are different so both games create a different gameplay experience even though similarities exist between the two games.

As compared to what? You conveniently don't provide a similar situation with Valve in which to compare.
One similar situation I am comparing it to is obvious. One poster in the thread at http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=77166 can't play any of his Steam games because Valve disabled his account. Can you read and find out who?

But you'll put up with their unfinished, derivative games that almost always need patching right out of the box?
Again learn to read. That is basically what I meant by "That is not to say that I agree with EA on its game release and support policies."

EA is also the 800 pound gorilla of the game industry. They should be able to more than afford decent customer service.
If a small company like Real can afford responsive and available customer service with telephone contacts, then so can Valve. Enough said.

You've read about it, but you've never actually contacted them yourself.
I have not contacted Valve because it would be futile. I want Steam to be made optional to play its games, and it is not about to do that.

So, it still begs the question, how do you know you're not hearing from the most vocal minority?
I don't, but it's a moot point. Fundamentally Valve has poor customer service because it doesn't have telephone contact for it, it doesn't compensate users when they are unable to play their games due to problems with the Steam software or network, it hasn't provided sufficient redundancy in the network to avoid the outages and capacity shortages over the years, it doesn't provide any guarantees of availability especially the long-term availability of games purchased via Steam, and it doesn't provide users with the flexibility to have final control over the use of their own purchases. The individual accounts I have read by aggrieved users who are afflicted by one or more of these many limitations and shortcomings simply demonstrate their existence. Even if the majority of Steam users haven't yet experienced any of these problems doesn't mean they won't at some point because Valve has done nothing substantial to rectify them.

This comment was edited on Apr 26, 09:52.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo