Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

66. Re: No subject Nov 11, 2006, 00:08 Creston

Tell me, have you ever worked in an eviroment where the average user is a complete moron?

The reason why they can't install shit, is because, well - THEY DO INSTALL SHIT! And you don't want to infect you corporate network with shit.

Besides the average use have the tools already installed to do their work. They don't need other stuff, if they do, the admin will do it.

Yes I have. Frequently. I've been in support and admin for over 12 years. What you say is true. However, in 95% of the companies that I worked for, users wound up still installing everything they wanted, either because they got admin passwords, or got local admin, or got "temporary admin" or whatever.

But you're kind of missing the point. The reason everyone at home runs in admin is because you can't do shit as a user. If you allow a user to install software into a USER DESIGNATED AREA, and actually build your OS around that UDA so that while they CAN install software, it CANNOT affect your critical system files, your registry beyond the designated area, etc, realistically they wouldn't be able to fuck up all that much.

And in the end, shrug, if a user fucks up, pop in the Ghost disk and ten minutes later they're back up and running.

I also seriously doubt that that was the reason MS had such a monstrous discrepancy between user and admin where rights were concerned.
(and yes, I'm aware of the existence of the power user.)

Creston

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo