Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

63. Re: No subject Nov 10, 2006, 04:47 Tim

Well, yes and no. It's true that everyone always running in admin mode is a security issue. However, the reason most people do that is because a user in Windows CAN'T FUCKING DO ANYTHING.

Why do I need to be a local admin to install software? Why can't a user do that? Isn't that in the very definition of a user? That they USE things? Like...I dunno, software?

You should only be an admin when you're changing system specific settings, like your swap file, messing with the registry, that sort of thing. A user should be able to install software into a user defined area, ditto for any .dlls that need to go into Windows\System32 (which should have been subdivided into System32\SystemCritical and System32\UserCritical ) and ditto for any registry keys that SHOULD go into HKey_Local_User.

But because MS made a user completely useless, what else are you supposed to do? Switch around constantly? Come on, who the fuck wants to deal with that shit.

A marginal amount of thinking about this would have saved a lot of security leaks.

Creston

Anger management issues aside Yeah I get where you're coming from but if you allow a user to do _everything_ then the same goes for any virus, trojan or malware Mr. Stupid User (tm) executes. You don't run as root in linux do you? Yikes..

I agree MS stuffed it up, dropped the ball, kicked themselves in the gonads by creating an environment where users were left with no choice but to run as admin to 'FUCKING DO ANYTHING' - my point was, they're trying to change that ethos and that isn't a bad thing. You ask why you have to be an admin to install stuff - well, in general, you shouldn't - but apps on Windows are built around the lack of a good security model and so they expect you to be admin. I'm hoping that'll change - of course, they'll still be occasions when an app needs to make potentially dangerous changes to the system and that's where UAC comes in - to allow the user to elevate an app for a short time to admin status (which means a lower window of opportunity for malware). You shouldn't be installing software all the time and so this shouldn't be so much of a bind.

Yes, it's MS' fault that we're where we are - but it'll take user buy-in to the new security model to change things to the way they SHOULD be. I don't hold out much hope as most people will see security as an obstruction based on what they're used to with XP. Security requires compromise and Windows users don't do that IMHO.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo