Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

56. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2006, 18:34 FreonTrip

ventry said: LOL
The same old shite as when XP was due for release.

In 1.5 to 2 years you'll all be using Vista just like you're now using XP.
With the possible exception of a few radical "burn Bill penguin heads"
The whole "wailing and moaning" process will repeat itself when the next MS OS is due for release.

===========================================================

I don't think that's nearly as true this time around. XP offered an operating system that was essentially a tweaked, user-friendly version of Windows 2000 with similar system requirements. It was a MAJOR step up from the Win9x line of operating systems, and was available at two price points, with compatibility improvements and numerous minor adjustments. The addition of mandatory product activation was inconvenient and a bit silly, but ultimately not THAT egregious.

This is a different story. Microsoft has aggressively limited the capabilities of its users for a line of operating systems which will soon succeed and replace a product that most people have - security issues notwithstanding - found quite agreeable. I'm not convinced that the security model has been significantly improved. The system requirements for anything approximating an optimal experience easily exceed those of Doom 3.* The Aero Glass visual mode seems inefficient and over-the-top. Many of its best features have been stripped away. WGA and integrated DRM effectively monitor what you do and limit what you can do with your PC - if you do something Microsoft doesn't like, they now have the ability to shut down some of your computer's functionality. Don't tell me malware authors won't work to exploit that functionality; witness worms that randomly and repeatedly delete one file from your computer within a certain span of time, and continually nag you to PAY THE AUTHOR MONEY TO STOP.

Long story short: This is much worse than XP was, and it's a sign of Microsoft's arrogance that they think a backlash won't ensue as their competitors are more publicly visible and appealing than ever before.

* No, it's not the very most current game, but there are still lots of inexpensive computers with capable CPUs using integrated Intel video and featuring 512 MB RAM. I also resent - and am perplexed by - the assumption that RAM is cheap. Price fluctuations have occurred repeatedly in the past, but even if they did remain low, IT STILL COSTS MONEY.
This comment was edited on Nov 9, 18:37.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo