Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

15. Re: No subject Nov 8, 2006, 23:04 PHJF

EAX isn't anything; it's a means to an end. All EAX does is add effects to voices, by instruction, and all each new EAX iteration does is increase both the number of voices and the effects applied to each voice. It's glorified reverb, nothing more.

Creative Lab's Soundblaster, on the other hand, has a sound processor built into it; the load is taken off the CPU (not that it's a huge load anyways). The newest X-Fi Soundblasters also have some RAM onboard to work with, but games explicitly need to be made to work with it.

The best Soundblaster available is the X-Fi (EAX 5 [Advanced HD, they call it]), followed by:
Audidy 2 ZS (previous king; cheap now)
Audigy 4 (not Audigy "4", but Audigy "EAX 4")

As I said, any third party card will generally have EAX 2, but better ones will come with Dolby DTS sound and other such more cinematic features. Creative Soundblaster is a GAMER soundcard; not home cinema stuff. You can find good sound cards for ~100$ for cheap, effective home cinema, and they should still at least have EAX2, so they are perfectly acceptable for gaming. I myself am still on a cheap 5.1 sound card I got *years* ago, and it still works great for both games and movies.

[EDIT]

Onboard audio has cought up with external sound cards. Most onboard audio of the past was (HORRIBLE) AC'97; anyone using it, as I have, will talk of the nightmares that ensued...

Intel HD Audio, the new onboard audio, is Dolby Digital and DTS capable, 7.1, with 192KHz 32-bit performance.

[/EDIT]

------
"Oh how awful. Did he at least die peacefully? To shreds you say. Well, how's his wife holding up? To shreds you say."
This comment was edited on Nov 8, 23:09.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo