Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

80. Re: No subject Apr 30, 2006, 20:55 Riley Pizt

So preloads are bad in your book.
It depends on the situation. With Sin Episodes we have a situation where those who preload must still wait two weeks after the game is supposedly "gold" before they can play it. That is stupid unless the game is not finished, and if the game is being shipped in an unfinished state as Tom from Ritual suggested then that is really irresponsible because retail customers will be totally dependent upon Ritual's ability to get their shit together by May 10th and also on their own Internet connections and Steam's availability to get the game working when they buy it.

What if there's a bug discovered just after the game is shipped out?
You misunderstand. The way Steam works now, each time you launch a Steam game, Steam checks the files which comprise the game to see if they need updating and then updates them whether you want it to or not. That is ridiculous especially when you want to play in single-player mode or when the update is downloading slowly for whatever reason.

Then someone takes the files and burns them on dvd and copies them to another computer and it's pirated!
It's really a moot concern though because those who want to play an unauthorized version of Steam games can already do so by hacking Steam or downloading a hacked version. Valve's crippling of offline mode that way is only hurting customers who play by the rules and don't hack Steam. It is also a stupid thing to do from a security standpoint, so Valve should remove that requirement.

Do you have complaints about other digital distribution models, i.e, Direct2Drive or TryMedia? Or do those seem a little more liberal because the only online bit is the downloading and the validation, nothing more?
As I wrote below, while Direct2Drive and Trymedia are better than Steam from the download and update requirement standpoint, e.g. no forced updates, no waiting weeks to unlock the games, better download availability, I actually hate the copy-protection in Direct2Drive and Trymedia more because it is more customer unfriendly. At least with Steam you don't get a limited number of activations so if you upgrade or replace your PC, you don't have to buy the games again although with Steam you are still at the mercy of Valve for the games to be available in order to play them.

This comment was edited on Apr 30, 21:20.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo