Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

31. Re: Beamer Mar 29, 2006, 03:01 Orogogus

It still didn't take 30 hours to do 32 - not 36, even with secrets; DOOM 1 was 36 - levels. Par for the whole game was 95 minutes; while par represents good run times, it's not on the factor of "18 times faster than a normal person will do it on their first try." I beat the game on co-op with my dormmates in one night in the first week, so the 30+ hour estimate is totally bunk. As has been pointed out already.

And frankly, gamers wouldn't accept the kind of gameplay that comprised those 36 hours nowadays. The idea that people are demanding a return to red key / blue key / yellow key X 36 gameplay is pretty preposterous, as is the suggestion that developers should spend time and money creating the assets and then catering to the crowd that measures fun in hours. Looking Glass's games were at the top of their form, and they certainly didn't take 30 hours to complete. System Shock 1 - one of the finest FPSes ever made, in my opinion - had a time limit of 7 hours, which was ridiculously easy to make even on a first playthrough.

This comment was edited on Mar 29, 03:02.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo