Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

15. Re: Console RTS Mar 7, 2006, 16:58 Orogogus

I'd be interested to see how the interface works with the controller. I suspect it requires a lot of help, kind of like the auto-aim you have to have which takes all the skill out of FPS games on consoles.
If they find some way to provide a workable computer assist in an RTS game for a console, then they should take it right back and put in a PC game, too.

I want to like RTS games but I can't because I don't enjoy micromanagement, and I haven't found any since, like, Harpoon that let you move troops around without holding their hands through every piddling action.

Take Dawn of War. There's a button to add another member to your squad, and if you right click on it (I think) it auto-reinforces until it's up to full strength. All well and good, but once it gets up to full strength it turns itself off, and if it gets attacked again and loses a member I have to do it again, the upshot being that instead of just making sure I have a Terminator squad in place to hold a pass, I have to babysit them whenever they get in a fight or else they'll eventually disappear off the map. And this is a RTS that's relatively light on the micro.

This crap drives me nuts. I'm glad that micromanagement gods have a variety of choices, more power to 'em, but I'd rather see the skill in RTS be a matter of attacking at the right time and place instead of managing the interface. If the consoles get RTS games that cut out this kind of handholding then I'm jumping ship first chance I get.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo