Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

14. Are there ... any honest publishers Feb 1, 2006, 20:28 theAntiELVIS

No.

Publishing is an industry based on exploiting those who produce products, while protecting exclusivity with distribution channels and retail outlets in an attempt to stifle competition.

I'll say it again: it's all about the box. Once the box goes, publishers will go. Getting the entire world hooked into broadband tech will accomplish this. When self-publishing becomes viable because distribution is essentially effortless, a renaissance in ALL forms of media will take place. Competition will be between producers of media, not salespeople.

I'm surprised something like EBay for game studios hasn't happened - a single place where media producers can sell their wares using electronic distribution, and the distributor takes a small percentage cut per unit.

It would kill the likes of Ubisoft in a very short time - especially if the median price for an A-grade title is about $20. and the producer keeps 90% of it!

-tAE-

This comment was edited on Feb 1, 20:30.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo