Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

5. Re: Xbox Shortage Dec 16, 2005, 13:41 Chris

With Microsoft's current strategy an XBox360 costs you about $700. Sure, may be able to get one for $400 plus the cost of standing in line for hours, but if you keep it you decline the opportunity to sell it for $700. In effect, it costs $700, full stop, so which people (kids? I bet the median age of consumers of these things is somewhere around 25) get them is not the question. The question is who gets all those $300 increments in price. The author proposes a mechanism which doesn't change the price consumers wind up paying but does change who gets the extra $300. I agree with the first poster that the author probably underestimates the resentment the mechanism might generate, and would add he likely overestimates the revenues at stake. Over the life cycle of the product those increments on the first handful of units won't matter, but consumers have long memories.

This comment was edited on Dec 16, 13:41.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo