Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

114. quick impressions Oct 18, 2005, 23:53 tron

***no major spoilers in this post***

D3 + Q2 + CoD is an accurate description. i'm 5 or 6 levels in and so far it feels like "rock -n- roll Doom 3", with the chaos of war going on all around you.

the graphics are every bit as good as D3, yet it runs much smoother. i'm getting more FPS than in D3. i'm very early in the game, but already experienced "wow" moments when i saw my ship land, and witnessed the aerial combat.

the main adjective to decribe gameplay so far is *fun*. it moves along very quickly, the action is very frantic (Q2ish in pace), and the squad mates urging you on adds tension and urgency.

it is odd that the blaster and machine gun have a flashlight mounted to them, but the shotgun doesn't...

the weapon sounds are fantastic. the machine gun sounds very crisp and powerful, the blaster has much more "punch" than the Q2 blaster, and the shotgun sounds great. surprising to me is the lack of the "grunt" sound when you jump. that has been in Quake 1 - Quake 3 as well as D3... i don't miss it though - i always thought it sounded a bit funny, especially when you jump repeatedly. the voice acting is solid. not as good as HL2, but as good or better than in D3.

there are "secret" areas, and you are rewarded for exploring the maps throughly.

i wasn't really expecting much from this game. just another version of D3, is what i figured it would be. however, i'm so far very pleased that the gameplay has more in common with Q2 than with D3.

if you are looking for bold innovation, a story on par with "The Matrix", oscar-worthy voice acting, or "the next big thing" - then you will be disappointed.

however, if you are looking for a fast and frantic FPS with great graphics and solid production values, then you're in for a pleasant surprise. if you enjoyed Q2 or D3, then you should love this game.

This comment was edited on Oct 19, 00:05.

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo